The TSIA Summer Prep Academy is a program within Project GRAD, a federally funded grant, at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi aimed at preparing students who did not pass one or more sections of the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA) through a summer bridge experience. The goal of the TSIA Summer Prep Academy is to assist the students with math, reading, and writing skills so they can retest the TSI and avoid the developmental pipeline.
- Students who are selected to attend the free TSIA Summer Prep Academy have two options summer 2018:
- June 11th – June 29th, Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
- July 9th – July 27th, Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
- All students will receive TSIA preparation from TAMU-CC faculty members.
- Students are provided a retest opportunity at no charge.
- In addition, students will participate in daily academic training to include Supplemental Instruction sessions, tutoring, and academic skill development.
- Students are also acclimated to the campus via a mandatory College 101 class, held every Friday.
- Students commit to meet twice a month with a Summer Prep Mentor, at least once a month with the Project GRAD Program Manager, and participate in two academic trainings monthly for the duration of the first year.
- Criteria to be selected for participation is TSIA liable in one or more sections.
Inside the Summer Prep Academy
The Summer Prep Academy 2017 Cohort during their Island Scavenger Hunt during College 101. The 2017 cohort consisted of 29 students from various schools in the Coastal Bend and some further area schools. Click here for the article.
Deshawna Colvin, Program Manager for the TSIA Summer Prep Academy, and Aissa Garza, Summer Prep cohort member, sat down with Barbi from KIII's Domingo Live to discuss the Summer Prep Academy for incoming Islanders. Click here for the interview.
The TSIA Summer Prep Academy was featured on KRIS 6 News on Friday, May 19, 2017.
Click here for the interview and article.
Summer Prep Academy 2016 cohort members at the Trio Islanders Awards Banquet on Saturday, March 25, 2017. From left to right: Deshawna Colvin (Summer Prep Program Manager), Jacob Soliz, Juan Martinez Robles, Aissa Garza, Iyobosa Elegon (Peer Mentor), Marisa Guerra, and Leslee Schauer (Project GRAD Director). Click here for photos and the article.
For additional questions, please review our FAQ page or contact Deshawna Colvin, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 361-825-2289.